Thursday, June 28, 2007
Snails...The Armored Cousin Of The Slug.
Many people have asked me if Snails are related to Slugs, and if I know any facts about Snails. Well that is yes on both accounts. Below I've provided twenty fact about snails. So Enjoy.
1. The largest land snail ever found was 15 inches long and weighed 2 pounds!
2. Snails' bodies produce a thick slime. Because of this slime, they can crawl across the edge of a razor and not get hurt.
3. Some snails have been known to live up to 15 years.
4. Snails are hermaphrodites which means that they have both male and female reproductive organs.
5. Snails have six vagina's, two of which are located in their mouth.
6. Snails usually travel in irregular paths, often traveling in a circle.
7. Snails reply mainly on their sense of touch and smell when finding food because they have very poor eyesight.
8. Snails cannot hear.
9. Snails can retract one or both of their tentacles at a time.
10. Snails are the armored cousins of the slug.
11. Because of the suction created by their slime, a snail can crawl upside down.
12. Snails are nocturnal animals which means they are more active at night.
13. Garden Snails mainly eat garden plants and vegetables, but they will also eat decaying plants and soil.
14. The fastest snails are the speckled garden snails which can move up to 55 yards per hour compared 23 inches per hour of most other land snails.
15. Ancient Romans use snail slime as an early form of roll on deodorant.
16. Garden snails hibernate during the winter and live on their stored fat.
17. Garden snails breathe with lungs.
18. Garden snails evolved from sea snails that had anal sex with giant land slugs about 600 million years ago.
19. The garden snail is cooked and eaten as a delicacy called escargot
20. May 24th is National Escargot Day
You can see for yourself, No difference just the shell.